About a month ago my lab moved temporarily from one campus to another. During the move out we unearthed many forgotten supplies, including some pieces of red velvet book cloth. Given that it’s probably not very “archival”, I was a little baffled as to why […]
Things they don’t tell you in book conservation grad school: one day your job will be to make a housing for a large papier-mâché chicken puppet.
Apparently our first university archivist/historian was a big fan of lamination. This just one of a couple hundred volumes containing some of our earliest university records and history that were meticulously laminated. I cannot accurately describe how aghast I must have looked while examining these. […]
MRW I used some compressed air to dust underneath the book presses, which apparently hadn’t been dusted in quite some time
Sometimes being a book conservator means you have to do a little dental work on Dracula’s fangs.
This is a pop-up book that’s going into an upcoming exhibit in our library – unfortunately, one side of Dracula’s teeth had become detached and pushed back into his mouth. Using tweezers, I carefully unfolded his teeth, and used a little bit of wheat-starch paste to reattach them in their original position.
Now he looks a lot scarier, and less like the subject of a cautionary tale about remembering to brush your teeth every day.
Some before and after photos of a recent mold remediation treatment I’ve been working on. It’s a collection of more than a hundred architectural drawings, paintings, and photographic reproductions that were damaged by mold prior to their acquisition by the library. Fortunately, most of the […]
A few weeks ago I asked for advice on how to make a box for our chained binding (see post here). The chain extends out from the lower board on the foredge, and the first link is fixed in place. In addition, the book has some beautiful brass clasps that would be happiest in a padded box.
I drew inspiration from a box made by Whitney Baker at the University of Kansas.
Here is the box I cam up with. It is a cloth clamshell with Volara foam padding. I cut a channel in the Volara in the bottom of the box, giving the chain a place to lay. I also added padding along the foredge of the box to keep the book from shifting. The padding on the foredge has cut outs to allow space for the clasps (which are wider at the bottom).
Nice box, and thanks for the follow-up!